SailNet Community - View Single Post - 78 helms 24
Thread: 78 helms 24
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-22-2015 Thread Starter
sloopyseconds

Talking 78 helms 24

hello everyone,
A friend and I just recently purchased a 78 Helms 24, from everything we have learned from research and the boat itself, not only did we get a great deal, but we have a pretty solid boat. We are working around the clock, well at least a few hours a day in or around the vessel to get her in shipshape. We are only missing a few things, a motor (which we are still debating if we think we can make a long shaft work, and if 4HP is enough... we have one we can borrow if so) a backstay, and the main block. We have made all the other renovations with a few bucks in 3M 5200 and SS hardware, and a tons of sweat equity. We are new to sloops ( I have sailed several Catamarans, and my father still owns a Hobie 18. We have all the original paperwork except the manual which we cannot find online. Our 2 main questions right now is what is our best bet for the backstay, and mainsheet blocks??? Right now we are considering a mainsheet block set made for the Catalina 25. Also my friend is in the aviation industry and can make all of our cables, so we are considering a simple split stay with a SS triangle. Any thoughts about those questions or this boat in general would be greatly appreciated we are young to the sport but have a huge passion to join the sailing community. also I am new to the site as well.

Thanks again -Jake

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome