SailNet Community - View Single Post - Intro, Lake Michigan Advice, Questions.
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 06-05-2015 Thread Starter
scottorious

Intro, Lake Michigan Advice, Questions.

Hello Sailnet! My name Is Scott and I am a newbie to sailing. I've been interested my entire life but only recently been in a financial place to act on those desire. I'm 30 and I live in the geographic center of Illinois. Which leaves my best sailing option as Lake Michigan. My longterm goal is to quit working and travel until I cannot. Luckily I live in a way that I can pack 30% of my pay away every single week. I have put together about 10,000 dollars that I am interested in buying a boat with on Lake Michigan. Ideally I would just keep it there and drive 2 hours north to it on weekends when I can use it. The job that I am so very fortunate to have doesn't give me much time off for the first year. Which leads me to my boat buying question. Since I wouldn't have a ton of time this year to sail would it be a more wise decision to wait until fall right before boats need to be pulled from the lake? When is the time to get a great deal on sailboats. Specifically on lake Michigan. Is 10,000 a reasonable amount or would it be wise to pack some more away and hit the prime boat buying time with a bit more cash? Next year I'll have about 8 days off plus holidays and the year after I'll have 13 plus holidays. Part of me wants to get on the water right now! But part of me senses that it might be wise to wait. Any tips, tricks or advice from great lakes sailors?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome