SailNet Community - View Single Post - Intro, Lake Michigan Advice, Questions.
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 06-05-2015
Chas H
Senior Citizen

Re: Intro, Lake Michigan Advice, Questions.

Hi Scott. Welcome to sailing and Sailnet!
I live an hour from Manitowoc, WI where my Mirage 24 is moored. I don't sail as often as I thought I would when I bought the boat. Although I live only a mile from Lake Winnebago where I berthed a Santana 20 I chose Lake MI for the Mirage for other reasons than convenience. My Mirage is still on the trailer. But I've been aboard several other boats this season. And the bluegills have been biting!

If I were me in your situation I'd purchase a Laser or Sunfish and get more sailing time in any nearby puddle until time allows to get on board a boat on the big lake. Last year it probably cost me about $100 each time I took the boat out. That's dividing the mooring fees etc. by the number of days on the water. You'll learn a ton about seat of the pants sailing on a small boat and have a blast instead of driving four hours. In the mean time you can research bigger boats to find one that really suits your needs and wants. A good small boat sailor makes a good big boat sailor too. You may keep a smaller boat even after purchasing a boat for Lk. MI. There are days I wish I still had my Zuma in the driveway.
- CH

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome