SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 35, Pearson 35, Morgan 34, Tartan 34
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 05-15-2003 Thread Starter
garyp

Bristol 35, Pearson 35, Morgan 34, Tartan 34

Thanks for the input, all three responses.
Yes Jeff, I mean the older Bristol, I have not seen a 35.5 which I could afford (under $40K) A 35.5 would be "hands down" for me also.
When you say the Pearson is not optimized for offshore, what do you refer to: the cockpit size or some other aspects of the boat?
Do you have a feeling as to why you dislike the motion of the Bristol? Would it be in general, or under certain conditions? Perhaps its a function of the longer overhangs?
I agree whole-heartedly with the spirit of your advice, KW. We''re stuck in Alaska another year and a half, but then we will be GONE baby. No waffling; I''m just trying to get as prepared as I can. I very much appreciate your individual experience with the boats. Its difficult to get much test sailing done with different boats.
No I haven''t considered a Catalina, Denr. No prejudice, I''m just not aware of any models in my category. I did find a Bristol 34 K/CB very appealing, a ''76 model, I believe by Halsey Herreshof. I know he did a number of Bristols. Of course build quality is equally important as design. Opinions on older Bristols seem conflicted.
KW, I''m curious: its none of my business, but are you exiled to or from the Virgins?
Thanks again, one and all.
Gary

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome