SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 35, Pearson 35, Morgan 34, Tartan 34
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 05-16-2003
Jeff_H
Administrator

Bristol 35, Pearson 35, Morgan 34, Tartan 34

A couple quick points here.
Bristol 34: I have always really liked these boats. They offer good sailing ability and a reasonably good accomodations for that era. If you found one in good condition (which you should be able to do in your price range that would be a very nice boat for your needs. I am not 100% certain about the build quality on the 34 but I would conjecture from my exposure to the smaller Bristols in the Halsey Herreshoff series of Bristols that build quality should be similar to that on the Bristol 35 but not as good as the later 35.5''s.

Pearson 35: My issues with the Pearson 35 as not being optomized as an offshore cruiser is the size of the cockpit and lack of drains, lack of tankage (standard 40 gal), the size of the portlights in the doghouse, and the dinette layout that seems to be most common in my area on these boats. (I like the more traditional aft galley layout of this boat which was also available.) The dinette layout really does not result in a single decent (even convertible) seaberth amidships. On the wheel models I like the wheel forward position which moves the helmsman forward out of the ends of the boat (better motion) and where they can see the sails better and gain protection from a dodger.

Bristol 35: I am assuming the Alden design which in the K/CB model is a more rolly design than I would prefer and for which the comments on the Pearson 35 (except water capacity) would also apply.

Jeff

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome