SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 35, Pearson 35, Morgan 34, Tartan 34
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 05-16-2003
VIEXILE

Bristol 35, Pearson 35, Morgan 34, Tartan 34

Exiled to the Virgins, by my own command (and that of my wife). Actually, Alaska was at the top of my list when existing New England. She say no, mon. Anyway, if you could expand your horizons a bit, JeffH could probably come up with some better boat ideas than those selected. There is a build quality difference in layup and hardware between the smaller Bristols and the 35 and 40''s. Like the man said, these are kinda coastal cruisers that''ll do it, but if I had my druthers . . . the notion of shutters is a good one. Those big ports in the Bristol and Pearson seem like plexiglass wave targets to me. One of the things on my offshore list was a shutter setup, or complete removal, new glass, and install a series of opening portlights. You wouldn''t believe what I''ve seen some people show up here sailing from the Northeast, California, Europe, etc. I''d be nervous sailing some of them on a jump to St. Maarten. I hate treading water. I''ve seen too many 12'' tiger sharks in the skipjacks offshore. JeffH is slowly convincing me of the need for speed, as well as crewing in Rolex, BVI, PR and SXM Heineken Regattas down here. I just always enjoyed having the prettiest boat in the harbor. Something about long overhangs and a deep cutaway that turns me on. Too bad it was only in the harbor less than 3 months a year in Maine. I''m still fishing for something. Never stop looking, kicking, caressing gelcoat. Highly educational. Wanna buy a Bristol 35? KW

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome