SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing with excess brain power
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 06-18-2015
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Sailing with excess brain power

Very simply, I was taught that the sails captured the force of the wind drove the hull into the water with an almost direct vertical pressure. The buoyancy and shape of the hull then forced the boat against this pressure pushing her ahead.
This actually makes much more sense to me as the actual distance across the front and back sides of the sail cloth are but that layer of cloth different, not at all like the wing of an airplane which actually has a distance difference.
There are lots of other factors at work, of course, but simply put; push a cork into the water and let go. Up it pops. Shape that cork and do the same and it pops up in a direction (forward). Continue shaping and it will pop up faster.
Perhaps your MDs might understand this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 06-18-2015 at 01:16 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome