SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bonding and Grounding of Underwater Metals
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 07-13-2015
Lantau
Banned

Re: Bonding and Grounding of Underwater Metals

[QUOTE=SVArgo;2907073]... This is an ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) requirement for yachts and motor boats, a US CFR (United States Code of Federal Regulations) requirement for passenger and commercial vessels, and a design and operational requirement for vessels of the U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. Navy...

I think you know best, but when I checked the requirements that folks referred to on this list for lifeline requirements, I found that many people were wrong or were referring to old requirements or interpreting them wrongly (at least by my reading, which with respect to lifelines says that rope is still approved). As I say, I think you probably know best, but it's worth checking the latest requirements again if you haven't done it recently. If what you say was true in 2004, then Pacific Seacraft blatantly violated the ABYC requirements when building my boat. I really doubt they'd do that -- but I could be wrong. (By the way, if commercial boats are your reference, I think you may find that any Pacific Seacraft also violates the rules on lifelines there, too.)

As I said, I think this is one of those cans of worms that will be hard to get clarity on in this forum.

I'm off to the boat so I can sail it over to a rigger to get his view on replacing my lifelines. I already know that whatever he says, many other riggers will disagree with him. That's boats...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome