SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bonding and Grounding of Underwater Metals
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 07-13-2015
wsmurdoch

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Re: Bonding and Grounding of Underwater Metals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVArgo View Post
How is your Pacific Seacraft bonded?
When I bought Irish Eyes in 2004, there was a black wire that ran from each seacock to the Dynaplate below the mast. An additional black wire ran from the engine to the Dynaplate which thus connected the battery negative to the Dynaplate. The mast base was connected to the Dynaplate with another black wire as were the shrouds, forestay, and backstay. The fuel tank and windlass motor are similarly connected. I installed a tear drop zinc to the system to slow the loss of the more expensive propeller nut zinc. I installed a galvanic isolator and connected the AC ground to the DC negative at that time. I replaced the corroded and damaged Dynaplate with a slightly larger solid copper plate on the advice of the surveyor. I have replaced or re-terminated several of the black wires when they appeared to be badly corroded.

My boat has the SSB ground system, and I know that the Dynaplate is in electrical contact with the lead keel although I do not know how.

The lower rudder gudgeon does not seem to be part of the system.

I'm not sure of the pulpit, pushpit, or stove.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome