SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 07-14-2015 Thread Starter
rishi851

Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule?

Hey guys,

I have a peculiar query. Lately I've become very frustrated(and even a tad bit scared) of flying. The long waits at the airport, the entire process is a bore to me. When younger(I am 30) I would get excited at the prospect of flying. Not anymore.

I am a film director(and yes, someday it is my dream to make the definitive Sailing movie). As such I will have to keep travelling across continents. I intend to keep two houses-one in Mumbai and another in LA and divide my time.

Now here's my question: My father was a marine sailor and sailed for 30 years before retiring as a Master/Captain. I sailed almost the entire world on his few ships(Bulk carriers/Oil tankers). Even then I loved the serenity of the oceans. Perhaps in retrospect that is why I got into an artistic field.

Is it my overactive fantasy or can I have a boat and literally use it to cross oceans like I did with my father? Of course with much practise. I am already reading seaman's manuals and astro navigation.

I'd need to buy a nice boat ofcourse

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome