SailNet Community - View Single Post - First sailboat for a very tall guy with a very tall family
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 08-07-2015 Thread Starter
Bartster

Re: First sailboat for a very tall guy with a very tall family

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice! There are certainly some things to consider that I didn't think about initially.

I will definitely head up to Bayfield, WI and see what I can find. I will also do some research on the Catalina 25 as well. Maybe headroom shouldn't be my biggest priority at this point in time. I might have to rethink that one. I will see how it is on some boats with less than 6'6" and see how I do before I base my decision only on the space below.

I never actually calculated the difference in speed between different hull lengths so maybe it's not as big of a difference as I was thinking it would be.

I do know that sailboats are slow and going to NYC or Philly in it was kind of something on my wish list that I might want to do if I had the time. I know it would probably be a couple weeks to get there and a couple weeks to get back again. Just wishful thinking at this point in time for something I would like to do in the years ahead without getting another boat in the meantime.

I am not interested in a power boat at this time and will probably get a Crestliner if I feel the need to go fast. I will be getting a sailboat sometime in the near future after some more research is done so I can make a better decision on what will work for me and my family.

Maybe someone else will chime in on what a shorter boat with good headroom might be. I just want to make sure that I will be happy with the boat that I purchase and not curse it every time I go below or use a berth. It needs to be enjoyable for everyone!

What's the best way to be absolutely sure that I have chosen the right boat when the time comes?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome