SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
post #1416 of Old 08-09-2015
asdf38

Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

This actually cost me nothing because it only used things I already had. But it came as a result of the fact that I had been eying a $45 attachment point for the end of the tiller extension.

It turns out that a bungee sail tie (which I like a lot btw) can hold the tiller extension handle against the stern rail perfectly well.

The extension is adjustable and seems pretty easy to either yank out or to re-adjust. In that position it can move the tiller across the useful sailing range of the tiller.

Currently, I have a line with two adjustable slip knots (adjustable grip hitch) on either end and a butterfly loop in the middle to go around the tiller handle. This is my tiller tie off line and tiller lock underway. It's worked fine but the tiller extension is another option that may prove easier to adjust.

Going upwind, tying off the tiller is my primary strategy and I can usually get the boat totally locked in and self-steering with the tiller tied (so long as the wind speed doesn't shift too much).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Aug 08, 8 11 28 PM.jpg (41.5 KB, 514 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome