SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Recommendations
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 08-12-2015 Thread Starter
atmcpm

Boat Recommendations

While I enjoy sailing I hardly consider myself an expert on sailing or on boats. I'd love to solicit the gallery for some recommendations on boats to consider.

I used to live at the coast and owned a Hunter 212, a Cape Dory 25 and ultimately a Catalina 30. The 30 was sold when we moved inland about 10 years ago. We have a cabin on a lake and I kept an O'Day Mariner for a couple of years. I have also sailed j24's and 80's and love the way they sail!

We now find ourselves not having the time to get the most out of the cabin and have it on the market. After long discussions with my wife, she has graciously allowed me to purchase another sailboat once the house sells.

I now live about an hour from the coast and plan to visit the boat about twice a month for a daysail for 2-4 hours with an occasional overnight and, ideally, I'd like to cruise for about week a year. About a third of the time I will sail with a buddy, about a third of the time with one of my kids and about a third of the time by myself.

I need a boat that I can ready and launch quickly, that I can single hand without much difficulty and that I can overnight on reasonably comfortably. My wife has no interest in staying aboard and I doubt that will change. I also have no plans for any ocean crossings - strictly coastal cruising and daysailing. I am a sucker for traditional aesthetics but tend to be a function over form kinda guy. I have a budget of up to $200K but I don't necessarily feel compelled to spend that much. I don't need new but I would prefer something less than 10 years old and really don't want a project. A boat that requires minimal maintenance is a plus. I've got a few ideas and I'll probably head to Annapolis this fall for the show to see what is out there. I'd love to hear what you all think will fit the bill.

Thanks in advance!

Andy

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome