SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Passage Routing Advice-San Diego to Seattle
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 09-06-2015
NTD

Re: Need Passage Routing Advice-San Diego to Seattle

Take what you want from this, I am sitting in Victoria. We just brought my Swan 46 up from San Francisco. You might say it's well founded. With years of experience I hired a captain. About all he does is bring boats up and down this coast. I hired him because I know what a biatch this coast is and how dangerous these river bars are. With the boat cost, time and years of work, I consider it was money well spent.
There are a lot more ports along the coast than most people think. But in some conditions they are closed, for good reasons.
We tried getting around Point Arena twice and was turned back twice to spend days waiting in Bodega Bay. It starts at 20-25 but as you approach the point, it quickly builds to 35-40 with 6-8' seas at 6-8 seconds. Sure my swan can take it. But how long until something breaks or someone gets hurt? And then you still have Cape Mendo in front of you. I suggested we go offshore to get around, but it's a couple hundred miles. Might as well sit in Bodega eating cheap crab and good beer while you wait for a weather window.
Once we got ours we went fast and hard only stopping for fuel. We stopped in Brookings and Westport. Weather was closing hard behind us.
I'd be happy to recommend Captain Ken Murray to you.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome