SailNet Community - View Single Post - Choosing a Domestic Sewing Machine
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 09-09-2015
MarkSF

Re: Choosing a Domestic Sewing Machine

"it would go out of whack and need adjusting." What adjustment went out of whack?

I've just finished making an entire set of salon and V berth cushions, and have also made several Sunbrella covers and done numerous repairs. The only thing I've had to adjust is the thread tension, and that is only when I switch between V-69 and V-92 thread. I could have got away without adjusting, but wanted a perfectly symmetrical stitch (between above and below the cloth). It should take about a minute to adjust the thread tension.

The only other adjustment I know of, is the timing. There is no way that should change, unless you really are abusing the machine. I managed to hit a zipper head-on with the needle. I swear the entire machine leaped 6 inches off the table. Thought I'd done some damage, but no adjustment was needed.

The one explanation I can think of, is use of Teflon / Tenara thread. Everyone reports problems with getting the right tension with it. It even says as much in the manual! Don't use it if you don't have to.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

Last edited by MarkSF; 09-09-2015 at 06:56 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome