SailNet Community - View Single Post - Choosing a Domestic Sewing Machine
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 09-09-2015
Missingyou

Re: Choosing a Domestic Sewing Machine

I have a Juki 563 Walking Foot with Reverse. 1980's? This is a beast with a large format bobbin, and I bought it used at a very reasonable $500. Would I do it again? Probably not, these old machines are all very well used and you can't guarantee their condition. I would have likely just spent the money on a newer one such as the Consew 206 RB6, as Siamese said above. $1200 with table?? I learned to sew canvas on the Consew with Tenara Thread and it was fine. Why would I buy something new made in China versus my older Japanese Tank? I think it has to do with the amount of wear my machine has and this translates into fewer failed stitches. Mine will sew well for awhile then start acting up. It can be aggravating. I'm still relatively new at this but I remember the Consew just worked.

As for thread? You should only be using Tenara in my opinion. Why bother with Polyester unless it is absolutely going to stay inside. The UV will destroy it and you will be restitching in 5-7 years. I'm not so sure about the tension for Tenara but for me it has been more about the needle. I currently use a Groz-Beckert MR Longarm Needle in a 16. I may even try to go to a 14. The Tenara has different friction characteristics than Polyester so needle size seems more critical. In fact the thread I am using is a Tenara knockoff called Solar Thread. I'm not happy with it, it's cheaper but it unravels easier. Don't do it, buy the Gortex Tenara.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome