SailNet Community - View Single Post - Monohull to cat
Thread: Monohull to cat
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 09-30-2015
SailingUphill
Above 5 knots

Dock
Re: Monohull to cat

I'd like to hear as well... I've skippered monos to 38 feet, but never a cat, and am chartering a 39 foot Cat in the BVIs come Feb (along with 3 other mono skippers)...
I figure they might stick me with a friendly captain (which is fine by the way, cause I am always willing to learn from those who have done it).

As a last resort our local ASA instructor was going to be on another mono in our fleet of 3 boats, he's offered to stay aboard with us until we feel comfortable...

But this leads me back to asking, what can I expect to be grossly different? I figure freeboard alone will make it difficult at best to move around in tight areas... Noting twin diesels in the configuration, is it possible to drive it like a large track-hoe (starboard in forward, port in reverse if you will, to spin in place?). At low speed, or reverse do you lock the helm dead center and play the port/starboard throttles?

Under sail I expect to have to sail more of a reach to bring up VMG, or am I really over thinking this?

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome