SailNet Community - View Single Post - The 6 Year Plan
Thread: The 6 Year Plan
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-05-2008 Thread Starter
Greenman
H27 "Shady Lady"

The 6 Year Plan

Okay, I have just over 6 years until permanent retirement, well actually 6.23 years, or 2322 days until my planned launch date. Assuming all, or most goes to plan, here is my concern.

I have read several books regarding cruising and planning to cruise, as well as spent countless hours scouring Sailnet.com. As I see it I have three basic options.

Situation: My wife and I are D.I.N.K.'s, with very little debt. My plan WAS to buy a small 22-27' pocket cruiser to sail for the next 5 years, then about 6-12 months or so before launch date, sell the lil one to buy a coastal cruiser capable of comfortably living aboard and sailing around N. America, possibly further, on a boat that was 100% paid for and with a pension income of around $2000.00 (after taxes) a month and a reasonable sized kitty. That was option 1. Here are the others I have read/thought about.

2. Save save save, then save some more, sail only on non-owned boats. "Catch as catch can be" so to speak. Then buy "the one" just before you throw the lines off, sailing away into the sunset....

3. Buy "the one" now, going into some debt. In my situation the boat would be paid off with about 2-3 years remaining before my launch date giving me time to rebuild the kitty, and still have that $2000.00 pension forever.

Personally I am leaning towards 1 or 3. The sailing other peoples boats for 6 years doesn't appeal to me.

So, what are your thoughts?? Thanks very much.

Shawn

I hate winter.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome