SailNet Community - View Single Post - Refurbishing CCA boats
View Single Post
post #231 of Old 11-22-2015
Jeff_H
Administrator

Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post
Tom, We just purchased her, so there is everything to do, and I went for the low hanging fruit. The interior is just a mess, as is everything else. I will be pulling off the dorades, wood cockpit locker hatches, and deck hatches as well, and either refinishing, or remaking new ones, as the PO put deck stain on all the exterior brightwork..argh. Once done, new cowl vents as well to replace the cheap old plastic ones. I am lucky to have the shop to work in, I just wish the boat would fit! LOL. I guess in time (years), anything and everything that can be removed and restored over the winter will be.

I might start a new thread for my project if anyone is interested, but will be starting a blog for sure just to chronicle, for my sake at least, the project. Later I will publish into a book, for me to have as a hard copy, something like shutterfly can do.

You have to really love your boat to do something like this. I know a few people who see their boat as a tool and treat it as such, personally I just can't let things be that way. Whether you have an old boat, or a new one, they are works of art, love, and labor, that move, and should be treated as such.

The work is not all indoor fun..sometimes you have to make lemons out of lemonaid
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
I personally would like to encourage you to post as much of your restoration process in your own separate thread as you feel comfortable doing. These threads are useful in kicking around general concepts, but nothing tells a story more than watching the step by step realities that we have been discussing in broad generalities.

I would also comment that your choice of boats to restore is a good illustration of the points that I have tried to make in my comments. While Columbia was not one of the better builders of this era, several of their models were very advanced designs constructed using better building techniques than many of their other models. The Columbia 50 is a good example of this. The 50 was seen as being marketed to a more upscale market than the smaller Columbias. They were an extremely advanced design for their day with more form stability, straighter lines through their run, slightly larger proportion of waterline to deck length, and employed more expensive to build details such as a more robust hull to deck joint than the smaller boats. They sail exceptionally well for a boat of this period.

In my mind, this makes them a better candidate for restoration than something like the Coronado 45 which while actually roomier than the Columbia 50, were no where near as nice a design, nor as well constructed and therefore a poorer choice than the 50 in my mind.

I wish you the best of luck with bringing back this fine design.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome