SailNet Community - View Single Post - Canvas Ideas
Thread: Canvas Ideas
View Single Post
post #25 of Old 12-01-2015
joyinPNW
landofrainandgray

Re: Canvas Ideas

[QUOTE]I picked up an old Kenmore (seems to be a theme), but am looking for some advice on getting started.
/QUOTE]

There are more resources now than ever before for sewing machines, manuals, projects, and tools. Which model Kenmore did you purchase? There are several FB groups-"Sewing on Boats" "Vintage Sewing Machines" and there is likely a vintage Kenmore group you can join. Also, Reddit has a Threddit group for sewing projects. You Tube has an infinite number of instructional videos for threading, maintenance, projects, etc.

I use a vintage Brother machine from Japan (you want an old machine from Japan if you can find them) and it works amazingly well for most boat projects. You'll learn that depending on your project, you'll want the appropriate size thread and needle and most home machines will accept up to a size 18 needle. You can purchase V92 thread in white to use for most boat projects. Don Casey has a great boat project book with solid advice, too.

If your new-to-you Kenmore is not of a vintage variety, it may have plastic gears and may not be up to the task of sewing heavier cloth. Don't despair- Goodwill routinely has the vintage "made in Japan" machines from the 40's through the 60's that are cast iron and rock solid tough. Google becomes your friend when figuring out how to use them. Just today I found an old machine ($20) that I'll clean up and give away as a gift since I have a few old trusty ones already.

Good luck and have fun!

Joy
Folie a Deux
PNW
The Following User Says Thank You to joyinPNW For This Useful Post:
JimMcGee (12-02-2015)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome