SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s

40K views 347 replies 11 participants last post by  captain jack 
#1 ·
hi. I just bought a 1971 cal 27. it's the original cal ( with the pop top ), not a 2-27, 3-27, or T2. it's in need of a little work. i'm finding little detailed info, on line, and I was hoping a few things could be made a bit clearer if I could speak with people who own or have owned one of these boats. below is a picture of the boat I just bought, for ID purposes. thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Captain Jack. My name is Michael and I currently own a 1970 Cal 27 with the Pop Top. I gotta tell you. I absolutely love that pop top! I'm currently working on engineering a lift support system to assist in getting that thing up and down. LOL I have posted some pictures of 'Starship Del Rocio' on my page. I have a TON of documentation. Please let me know what I can help with. :)
Michael

#5 · (Edited)
it's a dark picture. it does make it look like yours, though. actually, it is white with a blue stripe. at about the aft most pat of the cabin, there is a 3 or 4 foot wide blue stripe, angling backwards, that goes down to the waterline. you can't see the wide stripe because there is a finger dock in the way. I posted about this boat under the general forum, in a thread called " I found a better boat ".

#4 ·
really? that's funny. I have a number of questions about the boat. mine needs a little work. the woodwork, inside looks good, but the door to the berth is missing. the cushions are all missing. it needs paint, inside, and over all cleaning.

one question I have is about the head. did these boats have a marine head or a portable head? there isn't a head, in the boat, right now. there is a tank under the cockpit sole that I think may be for the head, but i'm not sure.

also, this is probable a dumb question but, there is a handle to starboard, right on the cockpit bench....well, the side of it. it's a crank, like a large window winder. I have a suspicion that it's a manual bilge pump, but i'm not sure and I can't really test it. the bilge is bone dry. can you tell me what it is?

one last thing, for now, I haven't checked to see your pics yet, but it would be really great to see some pictures of the interior, so I can see what isn't right on mine.

it's good to meet you. I can't believe how hard it is to find detailed info about some boats and yet it's a breeze on others. if this was a 2-27, there's tons of info.

thanks for responding.

oh. one other thing, how's she sail?

#6 ·
Ok - Lets take this one at a time. First ~ Congrats on acquiring a pronominal boat. These boats are sturdy, quick, a safe cruisers. I absolutely love mine. With that said, lets start.
1. The door to the birth is a two part door separating in the middle. You should be able to locate the track as they are right on the wall where the bed begin right by the vbirth cousins. These doors slide in opposite directions to open and close. I'd be happy to take pics and measurements as you require to help you along.
2. The head is a portable head with access to external plumbing to extract waste if desired. I simply use mine as a port-a-potty. Emergency
/lady use only. lol I can send you pics and have documentation that came with boat. I'd be happy to copy and email if you like.
3. The handle to starboard, right on the cockpit bench is actually the lever (white ball on end of handle) for the transmission on my boat; forward (all the way forward), neutral (middle), and revers (pulled all the way aft). I have documentation on this as well. I have a dry bilge as well and there is a whale pump in the cabin located on the bench wall on the starboard side.
4. I don't have any pics of the interior, but I will take some for you and post them.

I hope this helps.

Its nice to meet you as well and look forward to learning more about your boat.

Question: Your boat is a 1971 correct? Mine is a 1970 (1st design) My hull number is 101 (Very first design of CAL to have an inboard motor.

What type of engine does your have?

Thanks again and nice to meet you.

Michael

#8 ·
Ok - Lets take this one at a time. First ~ Congrats on acquiring a pronominal boat. These boats are sturdy, quick, a safe cruisers. I absolutely love mine. With that said, lets start.
it's good to know they are a good sailing boat. I will be sailing on the Chesapeake and it can get rough, sometimes.

1. The door to the birth is a two part door separating in the middle. You should be able to locate the track as they are right on the wall where the bed begin right by the vbirth cousins. These doors slide in opposite directions to open and close. I'd be happy to take pics and measurements as you require to help you along.
I did see the track. I didn't realize it was a split door, though. I thought it as a single panel. I don't need measurements, though. if you are going to take interior picks for me to look at, that will be good enough.

2. The head is a portable head with access to external plumbing to extract waste if desired. I simply use mine as a port-a-potty. Emergency
/lady use only. lol I can send you pics and have documentation that came with boat. I'd be happy to copy and email if you like.
really? that would be great. my email is motorcyclejack2@aol.com. thanks. that would be a big help. so, what do you think about the tank under the cockpit sole? is there one on your boat?

3. The handle to starboard, right on the cockpit bench is actually the lever (white ball on end of handle) for the transmission on my boat; forward (all the way forward), neutral (middle), and revers (pulled all the way aft). I have documentation on this as well. I have a dry bilge as well and there is a whale pump in the cabin located on the bench wall on the starboard side.
I don't have a transmission. it's set up for an outboard, not an inboard. but that does sound like the handle. when you say a whale pump, I assume you mean for the bilge?

4. I don't have any pics of the interior, but I will take some for you and post them.
thanks. I appreciate that. it'd be a huge help.

I hope this helps.

Its nice to meet you as well and look forward to learning more about your boat.

Question: Your boat is a 1971 correct? Mine is a 1970 (1st design) My hull number is 101 (Very first design of CAL to have an inboard motor.

What type of engine does your have?

Thanks again and nice to meet you.

Michael
yes. it is a '71. I didn't know that about it being cal's first inboard. that was an option, though. one that the original owner of my boat didn't opt for. thanks for your help. it's good to know i'm not alone out there. lol. I don't know my hull number. I couldn't find the HIN. the title just has a 4 digit number there. it's 107-something. maybe 107-9. I can't remember. I will have to look.

thanks again

#10 · (Edited)
Your hull number should be in the glass somewhere. I will locate mine and tell you where I found it. It took a closer look at your original pictures and seems as though your boat was ORIGINALLY shipped with an engine. Probably a VIRE 7 / 1 lunger 2 stroke. You will notice on the floor in the **** pit just in front of the hatch, you will notice a cover with 'FUEL' on it. That lever with the white handle operated the transmission which was attached to the VIRE 7. It's obviously gone now. If the boat was shipped without an inboard engine, the transmission gear selector and fuel cell would never have been installed. Additionally, if that boat wasn't shipped with a inboard, the transom would have been cut to accommodate for an outboard engine. If you look carefully at the transom on the inside, you can actually see the outline where the cut would be. I have seen of few of these CAL's with the outboard option.

#12 ·
ok. that's interesting. I have seen pictures of a cal 27 with just such a cut out. I had wondered about that cut out when I saw the pictures. so, if the engine had been removed, do you think they glassed over the place where the shaft exited the hull? perhaps the actual shaft and propeller are still there. I haven't seen the underside because I am not hauling her til it's time to scrape barnacles and do the bottom paint.

depending on whether the shaft is still in place or not, how hard to you think it'd be to put another motor in it? would it even be worth it? perhaps I could remove the fuel cell and put a holding tank there, for the head, or convert the fuel cell to a holding tank. I really would like am actual marine head, instead of a portable head. I was considering a composting head, as well.

#11 ·
NOTE: There are TWO sets doors! One that separates the main cabin from the bathroom (one piece door sliding from starboard to port), and that second set of doors we already talked about. This set up allowed the head to be completely isolated from vbirth and main cabin if desired. Hope that made sense and you may already know this.

#15 ·
no. actually, i didn't know that. i was talking about the door that separates the cabin from the head/berth. i hadn't realized you could close the head off from the berth, too. that's cool. you, my friend, are a wealth of information. thank you so much.

#13 ·
Good to see this dialogue.. thanks for helping out, Michael.

Jack you should be able to see if the original prop shaft is in place, it should be visible from inside (I would think) just ahead of the tank. If someone's converted the original inboard engine space to storage it may be buried there. It's also possible someone removed it and glassed it over. If you stick to your electric power/engineless plan you obviously won't need the tank, that will open up more storage when you take it out. Not sure about converting to a holding tank, it would need some modification and large diameter hoses attached somehow..

If all the parts are there it likely is possible to repower with another inboard but probably not worth the cost. Possibly even an electric drive, but again $$$$$.

But it's great to have a resource like Michael.

#14 ·
Good to see this dialogue.. thanks for helping out, Michael.

Jack you should be able to see if the original prop shaft is in place, it should be visible from inside (I would think) just ahead of the tank. If someone's converted the original inboard engine space to storage it may be buried there. It's also possible someone removed it and glassed it over. If you stick to your electric power/engineless plan you obviously won't need the tank, that will open up more storage when you take it out. Not sure about converting to a holding tank, it would need some modification and large diameter hoses attached somehow..

If all the parts are there it likely is possible to repower with another inboard but probably not worth the cost. Possibly even an electric drive, but again $$$$$.

But it's great to have a resource like Michael.
it most definitely is!

I am going by the boat, today, before I go to teach class. I figured i'd get in some work. I will look, when I am there. thanks for the input. i just never considered that it originally may have had an inboard.

#16 ·
Engine: I would definetely look at a different solution for the engine. As you may or may not know, that boat weighs at LEAST 5400 pounds without any souls on board. I find my original engine underpowered and I will be looking to switch it out with a 2 GM of some type. I will be looking to glass in a 25 hp for more to help with the 20 ft swells we can get in the bath tub they call Lake Michigan. Also, I like coming in hot and exercising the sphincters of the old guys that like to wait on the dock ready to catch mooring lines. LOL I see it as a public service. lol I'll be by the boat and I will take pictures and a video for you Captain Jack.

#20 ·
so, do you think that a 9.9 outboard would be a good choice? I only want it for emergencies: no wind and I just have to get back or sails shredded, mast broken, and I can't sail sort of thing. possibly for moving into or out of the slip in contrary winds. not looking to hot dog it, but I need to be able to move the boat, too.

thanks for being willing to take picks for me. I can't tell you how big a help that will be; like a lighthouse on a foggy night.

#21 ·
I have always found sailors to be helpful but, until I started sailing on the bay, I really couldn't say the same for power boaters. a lot of those guys, fishing in their full camouflage ( to hide from the fish? ) on the lakes I have sailed, are buttholes. down on the bay, it's different. power boaters are ok on the bay.

#18 · (Edited)
Bathroom: It will take considerable effort and resources to convert that fuel cell to a holding tank. Waste will need to be pumped a long way back and up into that tank and what a mess you will have if, after a night of celebration, someone tries to flush a dead beaver through. Ugh.. Don't laugh.. been there, done that! LOL Additionally, a solution will be needed for pump out from that location. If a holding tank for the potty is really set deep and true into your desires, I would look at what you can fabricate and install BELOW the head. That way you can utilize gravity and some existing help that came with the boat. IE: Pump out features that were build into the boat. :)

#19 · (Edited)
I would take everything the marine owner will give you. You can use the sailing paraphernalia you don't use to barter for things you may need. Your boat can accommodate a smaller jib in addition to the main job. You will see the ring on the mast just under the steaming light and you will see the track directly on the deck towards the bow. For the jib, look for a 120 but no more than a 180. We'll talk more about sails later. But, I wanted you to know as you go through the sails available.

#23 · (Edited)
yeah. that's what I was going to do. I figure that, even if I don't have the optimal sails, all the extra sails they are giving me should help acquire what I want.

sail advice would be great, since you know the boat and I don't. not really worried about a spinnaker. I will usually be under crewed and I can always sail wing and wing, if I need. I did notice the different tracks.

what do you think about roller furling jibs? I was thinking I could do a genoa and the main, using the roller furler to reduce the jib area.

#25 ·
Engine: Well, if you aren't going to be performing any public services, I would look at a minimum, a 12 horse. You'll thank me later if you decide to take my advise. When powering in against 15 - 20 knots of wind, you'll think of me and smile. :) I took pics as promised. I was going to take a video but found a dead battery on my cam. Sorry - I'll take a vid this weekend.

#31 ·
wow. you really went above and beyong. labels on the pics, even! thanks. i saved them to my computer to refer to as needed. does yours havean adjustable back stay?

#27 ·
Auto-Furling: If you are going to be under crewed most of the time, definitely invest in that little nicety! The one I had didn't work very well the first season. However, after some tweaking, I couldn't imagine life without it! LOL I can get you the make and model that is on mine for a starting point/reference if you like.

#29 ·
so, neither of you think it's a good idea to use the furler to reef but it's good to have one to furl up the sail, when striking the jib? michael, thanks for posting the pics. i will takle a look at them in just a min. a recommendation on a good furler would be great. is there a type of furling system where you don't have to modify your head sail? i suppose that's not a huge issue. i have quite a few extra sails, that they put in the boat for me. i am sure that i can get some barter mileage out of them.

as far as using what i have before changing up, i presently am not sure what i have. i haven't had a chance to inventory.

i went to the boat between work and class, tonight. i installed the new temporsary door hatch and door. i say temporary because i built them out of materials i just had around; old plywood and some strips of azak. i painted the hatch white. i wanted to close off the boat, from nature, as soon as possible. i will take a bit more time and make a 'good' door hatch completely out of azak and a door out of a nicer piece of wood. i don't have azak that size, or i would use azak.

you guys are right. there was a motor. the fuel cap is where you said it would be. the shaft is still in the boat. it wasn't glassed over. i didn't get a chance to see if it still turns. it was getting dark fast and i wanted to get that hatch on there. the motor mounts are still there. i think it must have been removed because it stopped working. the outboard mount is a nice one, not just a piece of wood bolted to the transom.

anyhow, does te shaft still being there give me any options to put in an inboard, that would be cost effective? or should i just go with an outboard?

and, if i do just opt for the outboard, should i remove the shaft, when it is hauled, and glass the hole shut? do i have to worry about the shaft being a leak threat?

#32 ·
so, neither of you think it's a good idea to use the furler to reef but it's good to have one to furl up the sail, when striking the jib? michael, thanks for posting the pics. i will takle a look at them in just a min. a recommendation on a good furler would be great. is there a type of furling system where you don't have to modify your head sail? i suppose that's not a huge issue. i have quite a few extra sails, that they put in the boat for me. i am sure that i can get some barter mileage out of them.
I use my furler to reef all the time and the old salty dawgs of LM captains I learned from also used them to reef. I would think its what ever floats your boat. I'll get you the specs on the unit I have. I contacted the installer and its bolt on unit without any further adjustments to the sail. Let me know when you get to that point and I will send you a piece of hardware that will save you AT LEAST 40,000 grey hairs.

#39 ·
one thing I wish the boat did have is a topping lift. I really don't know if it's worth all the effort of trying to ascend the mats to put one on it, though.

#40 ·
Yeah - The topping lift is super nice; especially when you bring the main down. Whats keeping your boom up now? I think sooner or later you will need to de-mast to have a look at your steaming lights and blocks at the top of the mast. Mine needed serious cleaning and steaming lights needed to be reworked. But, I think If you plan it correctly, you can do it all at once. I run three sheets. Main, Jib, and Spinnaker.

#46 · (Edited)
Its not pretty ~ However, not an effort without rewards. Remove shrouds (upper and lowers), back stay (you are SOOOO spoiled by that adjustable back~stay), forestay, and that baby will detach. Remember to have 6 grown men, a 7 year old, and a puppy on hand. Then, you will get the opportunity to see what's under that mast. I hope someone was thoughtful enough to have a dollar under there. If not; make certain you have a dollar ready to pop under there when the mast gets back on there. NOTE: Have any NEW wiring ready to pull back through here. I screwed up and I should have installed deck lights and charting wiring ready. I didn't. So, I have a de-mast scheduled for the spring. A $400 oversight as that what I need to pay locally.. blahhhh...

#47 ·
if everything aloft ends up functioning correctly, i may put that de-masting on hold til it has to be done. if i ever do it, i will install a real topping lift. is it possible to use a bosun's chair to go aloft?

#49 ·
ok. useful day, today. I got the boat cleaned up and organized quite a bit, with my GF's help. I got the life lines on the port side in good repair. I got the ones on the starboard right, except for one post that needs replaced. the boat is swept free of all the trash and stuff. I scraped some paint and took a lot of measurements of things that I need to make.

the V berth door is only missing on the starboard side. I have the port side to use as a guide in making the other one.

the boat has a manual bilge pump in that storage compartment in the starboard bench, in the cockpit. I have no idea if it works because there is no water to pump out. I am thinking about taking it apart and making sure the insides are good.

the propeller shaft was used to plug the hole. it does not turn. in fact, it's got a rubber sleeve over where it passes through the hull and that is hose clamped in.

so, either i will glass it shut ( i don't like that plug. looks sketchy to me ) or i will do an inboard but i will have to get a new shaft and, probably, a propeller, too.

i have a few questions for you. i will have some pics after i get done eating dinner.

#50 ·
the propeller shaft was used to plug the hole. it does not turn. in fact, it's got a rubber sleeve over where it passes through the hull and that is hose clamped in.
Sound normal... btw the prop shaft ALWAYS 'plugs the hole'.. we hope ;) At this point I suppose you don't know if the prop is still on the shaft?

Look kinda like this? (right side of the picture?)

#51 ·
yeah. it looks like that. but the shaft won't turn. this is a picture i snapped of it:

ok. well, the site won't upload it, at this time. that messes up the other questions i had, for now. but, to answer your question: no, i won't know, for sure, until i haul it. but it definitely won't turn, by hand, at this point.

#52 · (Edited)
nope. i get an error every time i try to upload the pic. I tried to send an email to the webmaster listed but keep getting a mailer demon:

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@sailnet.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

#53 ·
Jack! get a online service (free) like photobucket. then use the pic upload on the edit toolbar and post the direct link from the photo album.

#55 ·
this is a link to all the photos of the boat that i have. i will add more as i go. that way you guys can look at the pictures that are relevangt to my questions.

http://

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.