SailNet Community - View Single Post - New sailor looking for help - Harrison Bay, TN
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 12-26-2015 Thread Starter
smijer

New sailor looking for help - Harrison Bay, TN

Hello everyone,
I just finished painting and have docked in a slip at Harrison Bay State Park. I have three items that need my attention before I can raise sails. I believe I need expertise and possibly the loan of a bosun chair. The items amiss are:
  • Forestay is frayed, needing replaced. I would like to use off the shelf cable from the hardware store, cut to size and cinch myself. I don't like the looks of rigging pricing on the on-line stores.
  • Mainsail halyard needs retrieved from the top of the mast. (I am hoping to take care of both of the first two items without lowering the mast, if that is a live option. Thus, the possible need of a bosun's chair)
  • There is a part that needs replaced, and I do not know the name of it.

While getting removing the clips that previously held the main sail, I lost the item that prevents them coming out on their own. It is the item circled in red in this picture:

If I knew the name of the part, I might be able to find a replacement for it on-line.
If there are people local to Chattanooga who might lend expertise (and/or a bosun's chair), I would be very glad of the help getting Firefly ready to sail.

Thanks!

Chattanooga, TN 1979 Catalina 22, "Firefly" - New Sailor

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome