SailNet Community - View Single Post - This is probably a complicated topic, but...
View Single Post
post #63 of Old 01-07-2016
chrisncate
You really are funny!!

Re: This is probably a complicated topic, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
OK, somebody help me out here:

In the 30 years since I first learned to shoot, I have heard and used the very common term "long gun" to describe a rifle or shotgun (as opposed to a handgun). But I have recently heard the term "long rifle" used to describe, well, a rifle. Including at least twice in this thread. Now, I STRONGLY SUSPECT that this began with the San Bernardino shootings, when I heard a couple reporters repeat the phrase "long rifle" when referring to law enforcement reports about "long guns" used in the attack. A couple of them even did so hesitantly, as if unsure they were using the right words. The erroneous phrase then appeared to spread far and wide and I have heard it many places since. The only place I had ever heard it prior was in the name of the caliber, ".22 long rifle."

Eh?

So to bring it back somewhat on topic, if one wants to carry a firearm aboard a boat, they may select either a handgun or a long gun. The long gun may be either a rifle or a shotgun, or in the case of a wooden boat, perhaps a smooth-bore muzzle loader.
As far as I can tell, Shotguns are for some reason still fairly acceptable, and rifles not as much. I think they distinguish between the two for that reason. It's probably the same in the Bahamas I'd imagine, since they are making the distinction as well.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome