SailNet Community - View Single Post - This is probably a complicated topic, but...
View Single Post
post #65 of Old 01-07-2016
chrisncate
You really are funny!!

Re: This is probably a complicated topic, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
But the distinction between "handguns" and "long guns" makes perfect sense. The term "long rifle", on the other hand, is a useless term if it merely means "rifle".

I'm sticking with my theory that it's just misuse of the term "long gun."

I almost got punched in the face earlier this week during a long and bitter grammar argument at work (fortunately nobody was packing heat), so I'm gonna try to not go 'round and 'round on this one.
Hey, I agree with you - the terminology around firearms gets mangled consistently, a quick scan of the nightly news illustrates that. People seem to need to ascribe a specific term to all kinds of like firearms - long gun, long rifle, assault rifle, hunting rifle, shotgun, assault shot gun, etc etc.

As a certified incurable gun nut myself, I know of two types - long guns and hand guns (generally, and excluding the way more fun NFA stuff of course).

The whole thing is patently ridiculous imo. There might be an argument to make regarding shotguns vs rifles, but both are indeed long guns either way.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome