SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina?
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 01-15-2016
Uricanejack

Re: Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina?

At first I thought this a really odd question. Until I noticed its in the her net sailing section.

I am a Grumpy Old Guy so my thoughts or ideas may not be relevant to you. If you are a young lady.
Perhaps I am nave but I prefer to think the best of people rather than the worst. Most people I have met on docks around the world have been friendly when I am friendly.
There are many places I might have visited happily, I would advise my Daughter to stay clear off. They were not the kind of harbours yachts frequent anyway.
I can think of nowhere on the west coast where I would worry about my daughter on the boat alone. Marinas, Public Docks, Anchorages or Marine Parks.
If you are concerned stick to Marinas with security gates and night watch. I have often tied up in small fishing or commercial docks. They are often the friendliest. Working sailors may look a bit rough but most are good guys.

I think popular sailing destinations have just to many people around for bad guys to feel comfortable operating.

Last edited by Uricanejack; 01-15-2016 at 04:24 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome