SailNet Community - View Single Post - What type of Keel do you prefer....
View Single Post
post #43 of Old 01-24-2016
TomMaine

Re: What type of Keel do you prefer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Yes, but you are on the left coast. On the right coast, it helps to have less draft for some of our crowded anchorages. This poor fellow needed to draw less than 4' at the edge of the Cuttyhunk Town mooring field. Note the mooring ball off his stern. (BTW, he didn't need a tow, he waited for the tide and took a mooring in deeper water.)
Cuttyhunk Pond is the perfect example of why I prefer shoal draft. Our family of four, sailing from Maine, have spent many, many memorable days and nights at anchor in Cuttyhunk Pond.

Never a reservation - often on weekends in late August - we've only once had to take a mooring. That night, the mooring field was noisy, smelly(engines and generators running-one upwind all night), but it could be fun in there on a good night(not knocking it).

Anchored well outside the mooring field(beyond where this deep draft boat in your photo is aground), is a different world.

We've spent many days swimming, dinghy sailing in the shoal area. It's like having a private beach - our kids loved it growing up.

It's tricky anchoring, dicey holding but very well protected. Our long keel(board raised) combs the weeds and sand at LW. That's not for everybody but that pristine patch of shoal water is a lure I can't resist.

We would enjoy a different Cuttyhunk if our boat drew 6'. There's a good chance we wouldn't have found a mooring on many of our visits. Late in the day, we'd have anchored(or taken a mooring) in the outer harbor. I've watched the boats out there, still very nice but it's a different world at times due to the exposure.

A couple of peaceful nights at anchor in the Pond, we've been awakened at 4 or 5 am by the eerie cry of a pack of Coyotes traveling along tiny Copicut Neck. Hard to believe with so many boats just a few hundred yards away. We're in a different world.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome