SailNet Community - View Single Post - What type of Keel do you prefer....
View Single Post
post #46 of Old 01-24-2016
Jeff_H
Administrator

Re: What type of Keel do you prefer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Can you guys tell me what kind of keel this is?People ask me all the time and I don't know what to say. Modified full keel? It has a center board. kevin
MORGAN 35 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Your keel type would be a keel-centerboard with a spade rudder. In this case the centerboard is housed in a shoal draft fin keel. (The profile is a little misleading because if I remember correctly there was a skeg aft of the keel which housed the prop. shaft.)

This configuration was pretty common in the late 1960's and beginning of the 1970's. Probably the nicest of these was the S&S designed Tartan 34 but Charlie Morgan was about as good as the came when it came to designing keel-centerboard designs.

I have always been a big fan of this configuration. It is one of my favorite configurations for long distance cruising. With the board down this configuration generally went to weather well. Downwind the board could be raised to improve performance, yet the residual fin and separate rudder produced great control.

Another big advantage is to be able to partially raise the CB and balance out weather helm making it easier on the helmsman or autopilot.

I also like the ability to retract the board and slip into shallower channels or corners of harbors. It was thought that these boats did well in extreme conditions with the board raised reducing the impact of surface sheer in large breaking waves.

If there is a downside to this configuration it is that it is hard to get the ballast as low as a fixed fin, and so these boats typically exhibit a mix of being a little less stable than a fin keel version, having more wetted surface in order to increase the size of the fin to hold more ballast lower, and/or heavier since they need more ballast to make up for the shallower position of the ballast. They also require a little bit more maintenance but that usually is not to onerous. There is the whole mythology about clunking centerboards but I have not experienced that on boats this size, but that does not mean that clunking does not happen on some models of keel-centerboard designs.

I hope that clears that up for you,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 01-24-2016 at 10:13 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome