SailNet Community - View Single Post - Calling all catalina 38 owners!
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 01-31-2016 Thread Starter
garthbirdsey

Re: Calling all catalina 38 owners!

I DID pay and tried to join the catalina38.org site. It is a long story but I never could get access to the site. I tried to contact someone through the website and had no luck. I finally found a phone number for the Commodore who said he would "straighten it out" but that "I really didn't need the website, you need the listserve". The listserve is just a distribution of emails and I could only see current emails with no access to previous threads. Most of the emails were just taking about generic sailboat information, not specific to the C38.

I have been sailing for over 25 years and have been active in several owners groups and make/model specific owners groups. The Catalina38.org site seems poorly run and extremely hard to join and use. The Commodore sent me an email through the listserve trying to "explain" what had gone wrong. I thought it was a private email conversation and told him that I thought the website was possibly the worst I had ever seen and the Listserve was an antiquated form of communication in today's world of social media and inexpensive websites. I told him that I would like a refund and didn't want to be part of the group.

I didn't know the other members of the group were going to see that email and was surprised when the listserve had responses of "sounds like we don't need this guy anyway" and "we can do without him!". This because I complained about the website and asked for a refund!

So the long answer is that I want to see how many Catalina 38 sailors are out there and if I get enough interest I will launch a website with full access for anybody that wants to look. I am sure I can run it with donations, not a mandatory annual fee! I have made and maintained websites before and know it takes some time but it is not really very expensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to garthbirdsey For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (01-31-2016)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome