SailNet Community - View Single Post - License question for hams with SSB
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 01-31-2016
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Pedro, CA
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 20
Re: License question for hams with SSB

1. You use the call sign that matches the band you are using. So if you are transmitting on a Ham band, you use your Ham call sign and if you are on a Marine band, use the ship call sign.

2. You must be licensed for the band you want to use. So if you want to operate on the Marine SSB bands, you will need a station license and a restricted radio operators license from the FCC. If all you are doing is the VHF portion of the Marine bands, in the US, there is no license required for domestic use.
windward54 is offline  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome