SailNet Community - View Single Post - Companionway Ladder Non-skid
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 02-29-2016 Thread Starter
elliowb

Re: Companionway Ladder Non-skid

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus34 View Post
The companionway ladder on our PSC 34 was just finished with varnish (no non-skid surface) which was quite a problem. We purchased and installed Treadmaster sheets and they work very nicely.
I'm leaning that way. The Vetus is nice in that it seems to be predominantly made from cork. However, it is far from non-skid at this point in it's life cycle, so it may be worth trying out the Treadmaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
I did mine last spring. Started a thread here and got lots of help.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...way-steps.html

I ended up refinishing with non-skid paint additive on the treads, worked out great.

If you do use the additive, don't get it on/near the very edge of the step as it will scrape your calves as you come down the stairs I ended up having to sand the edges and refinish them.
I wish that I could use varnish with non-skid additive, however, the steps were dadoed to accept non-skid that is about 1/8th inch (see attached photo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I use hydroturf on my A-Cat which works well but I don't know how it would hold up to shoes.
I think in my case I won't be able to use the hydroturf, from what I can tell it isn't thick enough to end up being proud of the teak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Flemish coil rope mat
May have been tongue-in-cheek, but as a traditional boat nut it appeals to me. The only problem I can see is getting the line well secured to the treads. I think I will work on a nice rope mat for the bottom of the ladder. Great idea. Many years ago I spent a number of years helping with the restoration of an old square rigger, so this would be a perfect homage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
The treads of my ladder are unfinished teak. Only the rails are varnished. Bare teak is pretty non-skid on its own. Sober, I've never slipped.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
That's a great idea. I was thinking of using Epifane's Rubbed Effect Varnish, but I suspect that on the leading edge of the tread, it might not hold up well. Bare teak gets dirty pretty quick, but maybe some Watco or teak oil. It would be a lot easier to maintain than varnish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3391.jpg (87.7 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by elliowb; 02-29-2016 at 09:53 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome