SailNet Community - View Single Post - How does a boat break free of its moorings?…
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 03-02-2016
Sailormon6

Re: How does a boat break free of its moorings?…

First, and most important, you really should log onto the Catalina 25 National Association, where you can tap into the knowledge and hands-on experience of hundreds of sailors who have sailed and repaired C25s for as much as 35 years. It's a tremendous resource for you. Here's the link. Association Forum

You need the four pilings of course. Also, you need a way to board the boat, and that's probably the "walkway." That term isn't used in my area, but I assume it's a finger pier that extends from the dock to each of the pilings.

When you leave the boat unattended for 5 months, you really should hoist it out of the water and store it onshore. In a hurricane, storm surge can raise the water level 5-6 feet, or more, and this photo shows what can happen to a C25, or any other boat. The water level must have been raised 7-8 feet to leave the boat on top of those pilings. A boat lift won't help that.

A boat lift will make your antifouling paint last longer, and keep your bottom cleaner, but if you haul the boat once a year, that will give you an opportunity to roll on a single coat of ablative antifouling paint. For your boat, it should only be a 2-3 hour job. (30 minutes to wash the dirt off the bottom, 30 minutes to apply masking tape to the waterline stripe, and 1-1/2 hour to roll on the paint.) One coat of paint will easily protect your boat for the 6 months that it is in the water. A boat lift is nice in some ways, but I really don't see enough value to you to justify it's cost, not to mention the fact that it's something else to maintain and repair.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome