SailNet Community - View Single Post - God Forbid we use our Lectra San - The downside of New York City marinas
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 07-05-2008 Thread Starter
Pamlicotraveler

God Forbid we use our Lectra San - The downside of New York City marinas

We have been in NYC at the 79th St. Boat Basin for a week. It is on the west side of the Island - on the Hudson. It is very convenient to Manhattan and has a lot of great things. It's beautiful but also gets disgusting at times. First the disgusting:

Not to mention that we are resting on 2 feet of soft mud at low tide. We don't run the AC or pump in water for the heads. We are using the shower head to pump in fresh water rarther than pull the muddy stuff into the toilet bowl. We don't want dirty our holding tanks

We have a Lectra San (Lectra/San waste treatment system kills coliform bacteria in sewage meeting U.S.C.G./EPA Type I standards for legal overboard discharge) which we are sending to our holding tank since this is a no-discharge area. But for the good of the environment they should PAY US to use our lectra san here. There is no question we would be cleaning their waters. That is the obsurdity of the laws regarding discharge of a type 1 (Lectra San etc).

Now for the good side of a New York Marina:

The good outweighs the bad, but I really wish New York City would clean up its waters.

"Tell 'em I'm busy. I'm on a sails call."

Last edited by Pamlicotraveler; 07-05-2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typo

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome