SailNet Community - View Single Post - God Forbid we use our Lectra San - The downside of New York City marinas
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 07-06-2008 Thread Starter
Pamlicotraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
There are triathalons and swims encircling Manhattan Island, and even the folks who haven't gotten shots have survived.

Don't knock that mud, it is the only thing that keeps some of the oldtimers at 79th street from sinking! (sigh)
I saw a guy windsurfing right here at the marina yesterday. He wasn't a very good windsurfer either, which made it even more disgusting. He fell in several times and if he doesn't get hepatitis I'd be shocked. He was windsurfing in a marina with liveaboard boats and no pump out facilities. That's no place for windsurfing.

I know NYC has been cleaned up, and I never sailed here in the 70's. I have no doubt the water is better, but I promise you there is a tremendous amount of debris coming and going with the tide. When you have pilings floating up and down the river it's a problem. And as you see in my pictures, the accumulated garbage is really nasty. It'll never be the Pamlico Sound, but it could be much improved.There really should be some active cleanup patrol with nets or scoops to get up the debris. A few boats cleaning the Hudson and East Rivers 24 hours a day could do wonders for the water.

Another pollution issue we noticed in the Long Island Sound and even in the Atlantic is mylar helium party balloons. They are a real hazard to boaters - I was concerned if we missed going around one of these it could be sucked into the intake. We saw them way offshore and sometimes the radar would pick them up. But there were alot of these and they are a danger to the wildlife. People don't realize they can travel 100 miles or more.

"Tell 'em I'm busy. I'm on a sails call."

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome