SailNet Community - View Single Post - God Forbid we use our Lectra San - The downside of New York City marinas
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 07-06-2008 Thread Starter
Pamlicotraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Nice view!

What's it like being on a boat there, in general ? Are there a lot of things nearby to go and see, museums or shows or anything like that ? Do you have a subway stop near you ?

Must be fun being there in NYC. I have not ever been there any great length of time and always thought it would be a fun place to visit.
Wind Magic...despite the caveats about the water quality, NYC is the coolest place to sail. Our boat is going to need a good cleaning when we get out of here, but it will be totally worth it. Where we are there is a subway stop about 3 blocks away, and so we have been enjoying the sights and shows and of course the restaurants. We saw the great Macy's fireworks show on the East River for the 4th (we were at the UN).

I think New York is an exciting cruising spot. Just watch the water while you're in it.

Sailing by the Statue of Liberty a few days ago was probably an all time sailing highlight. It says something about our country that we are free to do something like that. We were heading North on a downwind (wind from the south) run from Staten Island and right by the Statue of Liberty. There were helicopters, ferries, freighters, barges, tugs - all of this noise and energy all together, and we were sailing with jib only, right by Liberty Island. I was prepared to start the engine at any time, but I never had to.

It was a special day.

"Tell 'em I'm busy. I'm on a sails call."

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome