SailNet Community - View Single Post - God Forbid we use our Lectra San - The downside of New York City marinas
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 07-06-2008
papazulu

Boy do I miss Boating in NY waters. I've been retired from NYC for 20 years and living in the south bay of San Fran. near the grandkids. One of our favorite things to do would be to launch a kayak or my friends Snipe sailboat from Dobbs Ferry on the Hudson River . The village is afew towns north of NYC. We would sail or kayak over to the Palisades on the New Jersey side of the Hudson. We would beach the boat at the foot of a waterfall coming off of the Palisades(not too well known).A long time ago it was common for NY City folks to come here and use the fresh water to relax in cement pools. The hike up the trail to the top was exciting. A little ways north on the river on the New Jersey side was aVillage called Piermont. It was set back from the Hudson by a swampy bayou of tall marsh reeds. You could get lost in its snaking around to the village. May remind you of the ICW. You are always going to get flotsam and jetsam in any big harbor. Going across the Hudson , besides dodgeing barge traffic you also had to keep an eye out for floating pileings or tree branches.Thinking you can just scoop them up and have much of an effect is like cleaning a beach of seaweed.The next tide deposits just as much. Enjoy NY .I wish I was back there for the Summer. PAPA

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome