SailNet Community - View Single Post - Portable Genny
Thread: Portable Genny
View Single Post
post #14 of Old 04-06-2016
Omatako

Re: Portable Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
We like our Honda. Great for charging batteries when the solar cannot, when we need relief from the heat to put one AC on and run the odd 120 volt equipment. My Honda cost me $800 back on 2008. One can be had for about $1200 now. Inboard diesel generators cost upwards of $10,000-20,000 to put one in. Do the math.
If I had to respond to Outbound's post it would have been exactly the same as yours.

That said, I don't have a Honda gen but have friends that do and it is a good solution for emergency power as well as (as others have said) being great for running power tools aboard.

I went to great lengths "developing" a Fischer Panda gen set to drive two 12v alternators instead of the proprietary alternator. It worked really well on all the tests I did in the workshop. But I abandoned it recently because it was so heavy and had a huge space requirement. Could easily fit two Hondas into the same space and combined they would still be half the weight.

And my mate's Honda makes no more noise than did the FP.

But in the final analysis I agree with other posts, we have found ways to be energy-independent without the need for a gen set. We stripped our shore-power installation out five years ago and use a Xantrex inverter to run the small mains requirement we still have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome