SailNet Community - View Single Post - Portable Genny
Thread: Portable Genny
View Single Post
post #16 of Old 04-06-2016
Maine Sail

Re: Portable Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
I'll add carbon monoxide as very real hazard to contend with as well. But if you're not in marina may be only reasonable way to run power tools.

I have a US Government inter-agency document, consisting of cooperation between the USCG, National Park Service, National Institute for Occupational Safety & Heath, US Department of the Interior & multiple State agencies, covering boat related CO poisonings. The document runs 45 pages, is absolutely ALARMING. It includes far too many deaths of both children and adults due to gas generator use..

I put the use of these small portable generators, on boats, in the potential for DEATH, category. It's kind of like the guy who has not YET been caught or caused an accident drunk driving.

The real scary thing is the small percentage of boats operating these generators that don't have any CO detector or are using a land based unit and not a marine unit. I can literally count on one hand the number of boats that have Honda's stuffed into a lazarette that actually have a UL Marine Xintex or a Safe-T-Alert CO detector that have been tested to UL Marine standards.

EDITED: To remove potential dual-meaning wording that could be taken the wrong way.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-08-2016 at 10:17 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome