SailNet Community - View Single Post - Transporting a Snark on a Chevy Sonic hatch
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 04-18-2016
CharlzO

Dock
Re: Transporting a Snark on a Chevy Sonic hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
This method has high disaster potential, be careful! At the very least, add tie-offs to the back and front of your car to keep the boat from launching forward when you brake or jettisoning backward while you are driving. The mast and boom will be challenging!

You can rent a truck from Home Depot or Lowe's for $19.

Ultimately, a roof rack and straps are the way to go. Look for the kayak transporting accessories.
Apologies, I certainly wouldn't use just the straps on the side, but I forgot to mention the front and rear tie-downs also. In my head I was envisioning it like a flipped canoe, but didn't explain it fully.

The U-Haul idea is a good one though, just load it in the back, and even if the mast sticks out the door, you'll have the hull strapped inside to keep it from sliding, and tie the door down with just the bit of the mast sticking out the back if needed.

Horizons Found
1976 Newport 28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome