SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick)
View Single Post
post #56 of Old 05-10-2016
Omatako

Re: Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick)

"Dead" boats standing about in marinas has been endemic since I was a teenager (and that was a long time ago). I used to wander about our local marina and drool over boats that never left the dock year after year. We still have those boats all around us, different country, different era, same scenario. There's nothing new there.

Where I live/boat, we have the near-sinkers as well but I can look out the window on any given day at just about any time and see sail boats passing by. Most schools in our area have sailing on their sports curriculum and they are mostly oversubscribed. Any achorage within the cruising areas that we frequent is always full of boats, not all sailors but we are well represented all year round.

What is of considerable interest to me is that the mid-sized sailing boat is no longer built in NZ. If you want one, you buy used or you buy an import. This in a country where the 25 to 35 footer is the most common size out there. One can only assume that older boats are continuously changing hands or the ownership is growing older because the new imports are generally financially out of reach for the younger folks.

But to answer the question - no, sailing is definitely not dying in NZ.

BTW, who saw Team New Zealand sailing the last race in NYC a few days ago? From a penalty on the start line and stone-last to a kick-a$$ win. And we have a 49r crew who have not lost a regatta in the last 26 (I think) they have sailed and have won 4 consecutive world titles. No, sailing is alive and very well here down under.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by Omatako; 05-10-2016 at 03:28 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome