SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat
View Single Post
post #19 of Old 05-15-2016
pdqaltair

Re: Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Yes.. I do have the stock fold down ladder mounted in the stern and does go below the water line... This would enable us to get onboard from the kayak... My dock (floating) sits about a foot above sea level so the kayaks would be about level or just below the planks for us to ingress/egress out of them.

My wife has good upper strength as she works out and is a decent swimmer... her problem stems from her weak legs due to thrombosis and occasional swelling. I don't believe it would be an issue and looking forward to some quiet kayaking up and down the creek.
Leg strength is a problem.

There is really no requirement for upper body strength, if done properly. The key is place all of your weight on one foot, in the center of the kayak. it is then reasonably stable.

The other boarding method that works well is to place a paddle across between one point of support (dock, swim platform, dinghy) and the back of the kayak cockpit and slide across. Lacking a sugar scoop, swim platform, or at least a water-level step, it's harder.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome