SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I use arborist rope for halyards and sheets?
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 05-25-2016 Thread Starter
MastUndSchotbruch

Re: Can I use arborist rope for halyards and sheets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
I have tried some on our Prindle Cat and it seemed to get stiffer every time we used it. it did not run through the blocks well and got twisted easily. halyards on a 32' boat do not need to be 1/2" if you use some of the new marine rope available. whats a good price? all that is needed is 5/16'" and marine halyard rope that size will have a breaking strength of well over 5000 lbs. 5/8" for sheets is also a bit large. I know it will be easier on the hands but can your winches and cleats handle that size line.
The long-term characteristics is really useful first-hand information. Hm. Have to ponder that.

I know that I could easily get away with a thinner rope for the halyards but I currently have 1/2" and like it. If the cost is low, why have the rope cut in my hands?

Good point also on the too-thick material for sheets. My current sheets actually ARE too thick, and it is a bit of a pain to get them into the blocks in the first place. After that, they are a pleasure to use. I _believe_ that I currently have 3/4" but your post reminded me that I should measure the diameter before potentially ordering ANOTHER too big rope...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome