SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat
View Single Post
post #39 of Old 05-30-2016
outbound

Re: Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat

Been looking at the Oro line of folding kayaks for some time but have yet to pull the string. Expensive but told nearly indestructible, tract well, light and storable in our workroom.Wondering if anyone has real world experience of these on a sailboat. REI had them on sale.
Use would be kicks and giggles as well as transport when I'm by myself. Find the walker bay Genesis works well as the daily ride. On foredeck with transom folded down doesn't obstruct vision and stays put. On davits doesn't get stolen and can deploy by myself. Would think kayaks as sole dinghy must be difficult if anchoring out or in windy, choppy places. Sometimes need to pay attention even with hard bottom rib when there's chop.nervous about being seen at night even with a white light running. Would think they create another level of complexity moving about side decks or if getting green water. Those are main reasons have held off on purchase. Guess another benefit of multis is this wouldn't be less of a concern. Easier storage, no side deck issues, possibly easier on/off.
Always been intrigued by Portland Pudgies. Very stable. Rows well or runs with small electric. Sails, fishes, and serves as a raft. Small enough to fit on 28' boat. Once against held off due to expense but see them a lot on New England boats. Like the idea of no gasoline on the boat.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome