SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bought my 1st sailboat
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 05-31-2016
Zarathu

Re: Bought my 1st sailboat

Make sure your motor works, and that you know how to repair it when it stops working. If there is anything other than sailing you need to know how to do, its dealing with the motor. There are so many times when having functional propulsion when there is no wind is critical to safety and to life, that this is more important than anything else almost. It would be of benefit to have a small OB that you can use if your main engine propulsion dies, and if you do that try to find ethanol free gas.

Here in Maine, there aren't a lot of boats out there with us. So if we need help its pretty much only the Coast Guard. Many Motor Boats with big 250 HP engines have a little 5 HP engine that they can use to limp back to port if and when the biggie dies.

People never talk about this. I know this. When I first when out, nobody gave me any advice about the importance of the engine and the prop power. But it was the dying of my OB on ethanol poisoning that made the maiden voyage of only 6 miles from ramp to mooring a nightmare when the wind died and so did the engine. Wife was totally freaked, and so was the 76 year old very experienced sailor, who never ever experienced an engine failure and had no idea what to do.

If you are going off shore, you need to take a course on engine maintenance and repair. But even only a couple of miles from shore, you won't like it if your engine dies and there is no wind.

Last edited by Zarathu; 05-31-2016 at 11:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarathu For This Useful Post:
nowiscertain (05-31-2016)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome