SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do You Report Your Movements to Social Security?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter
oldragbaggers

Do You Report Your Movements to Social Security?

A little update...... We are finally making our break. Our house is under contract and settlement is set for June 15th. We have our appointment with the retirement office tomorrow morning and will be retired from the school system effective July 1. We should be living aboard the boat by end of July and southbound in the ICW by September. Life is good. Very good indeed.

Tonight I was doing my online application for my social security benefits and at the end of the application I had to check a statement that says I agree to report to the social security administration any time I leave the country for more than 30 days. Really...??

Our plans for the near future, at least the first few years, is the snow bird route, with winters being in the Bahamas and Caribbean, at least for some of the season, and then back to the U.S. and north as far as we feel like going in the summer. Rinse and repeat.

I know there are many others doing the same thing, and probably a large portion of them that are retired, so I had to wonder, do you really contact the social security administration and report in to them every time you sail out of country for 30 days. And....why do they care?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome