SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for rig tension numbers on a Crown 34
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 06-07-2016
aloof

Re: Looking for rig tension numbers on a Crown 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I use the old method of tuning my rig under sail, adjusting the stays and shrouds so that there is no slack on the lee side during a beam reach in a good wind. I really can't see the purpose of any more tautness than that.
You are correct.

I am ever skeptical of pre-loading to some percentage of the wire breaking strength without more input from the designer. In fact I no longer use a tension gauge but rather "do what works, what gets the job done, and not a turn more." Different designers use different wire size safety factors. Wire sizes get altered after manufacture. Rigs come from various spar builders. Etc etc. The proper tune is what gives the proper result.

Tension gauges might be handy for returning to some previous setting. However measuring the gap in the screws is easier and more accurate.

Preload on shrouds doesn't bend (most) boats much. It is the preload on the backstay that bends boats and cracks the furniture. Thus the utility of an easily adjustable backstay, or whatever tensions the forestays.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome