SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboards and sailboat balance question
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 06-21-2016 Thread Starter
Zarathu

Re: Outboards and sailboat balance question

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Most sailboats have what is called a "displacement Hull"
the more horsepower used to push the boat the more it will "squat" in the water and not really go faster 19ft boat probably only needs 3- 5 HP and guessing the 90lbs is 9 or 10 HP? Which will make the transom"sink" when the extra HP pushes the boat against its hull speed. When sailing, I doubt you will notice much if you aren't racing or into performance sailing. You do want to be mindful of the boats "freeboard". Since the o/b is like another person's weight
That's what I figured. The 90 lbs is a 6 hp 60 lb Tohatsu Plus a 30 lb Torqeedo 1003. Each used for different things. The tohatsu is needed when I need to run back to the beach launch, often through rough seas, pulling a 10 foot walker bay dinghy, or for running back to the mooring from an approaching storm when I need to do hull speed, or hiking out long distances in a short time period, or motoring at night back from the fireworks trying to avoid a dense field of lobster pots.

The torqeedo is for anything else(getting out to better wind, coming into the mooring or dock, or just quiet motoring to get somewhere when I'm not in a hurry, and as "kicker" back up for when the gas engine decides to fail---as I have experienced int he past in dangerous circumstances.

I have a huge 24 inch freeboard, and the boat sails best and fastest in not more than 5-10 degree heel.

Thanks for your help. You confirmed my thoughts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome