SailNet Community - View Single Post - So much hate to new people.
View Single Post
post #108 of Old 06-21-2016
MikeOReilly
Old soul

Re: So much hate to new people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
As a fairly new sailor myself, I have run into some pretty snarky comments by old salts. A sailing friend of mine calls them "yachties." My first time backing a boat in I didn't hit a thing, but it took me about 10 tries to figure out the prop walk/steering combo to get the ole girl in reverse. After feeling accomplished that I hit nothing and docked slowly enough to step off the boat and tie my own lines as she coasted in, I had a couple tell me "sure took you enough tries. Maybe try forwards next time." They had been sailing for years so they say.
If they really were being dycks, then you should ignore them. Either that or find a better place to sail out of. I've never encountered anything but generous, friendly fellow sailors out here in the real world. Lots of "sailor" dycks online, but not in real life.

But perhaps they were trying to be helpful. Most sailboats are hard to back up. Maybe they were offering useful advice. Wasn't there, so you would know best.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome