SailNet Community - View Single Post - Avalon Mooring Mid-Week During the Summer?
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 07-08-2016
Skyeterrier

Re: Avalon Mooring Mid-Week During the Summer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDavison View Post
I'm an experienced sailor, but have never sailed to Catalina. I'm planning an end of July midweek trip to Catalina, including stops at Two Harbors and Avalon. I'll stay at one location on Tuesday and the other on Thursday. I keep reading about how difficult it is to get a mooring at Avalon Harbor. Would my chances of getting a mooring at Avalon be better on Tuesday or Thursday?

Thanks!
My guess is that Tuesday would be better as Thursday is right up against the weekend, and it's summer.

Here are a couple of webcam pages where you can get an idea how crowded it might be:

Avalon Harbor Live Cam - Avalon, California

Mount Ada Cam | Visit Catalina Island

The first link actually has a chart showing mooring availability at Avalon.

Be aware that the moorings have you tie at both ends, see picture attachment below.

Brian Fagan's excellent book on cruising central and southern CA has a good chapter on Santa Catalina. Enjoy, and definitely go to Two Harbors as well, it's very nice and the people there are super friendly and provide great service, from the restaurant/shops to the harbor boat skippers. A very different vibe from Avalon in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catalinamooring.jpg (43.4 KB, 16 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Skyeterrier For This Useful Post:
JDavison (07-08-2016)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome