SailNet Community - View Single Post - 12V ground on the boat
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 07-19-2016
hellosailor
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Re: 12V ground on the boat

Grounding, bonding, lightning grounds, circuit grounds, would suggest you read some of the printed books, buy them online used, from some of the long-published authors. There are disagreements about "grounds" and why which system is best for particular purposes. Sometimes it is a matter of personal choice and belief and it helps to see how exoerts disagree.

I can't see why the copper strap from keel to engine, it might just be a half-executed idea a PO had. Personally I would rather run a high capacity cable from the engine/battery common to the keel bolt, it should carry more current than copper strapping, which is usually (better and) used as an electrical counterpoise for a HF radio.

The VHF coax running down the backstay may sound odd but it might make sense. I once had "today only" to run a new antenna coax before a 3-day race, and the mast spat out the fish tape no matter how we tried to run it. So, the new cable got temporarily run outside the mast and covered with packing tape to secure it for the week. Not a perfect solution but given the options...now doesn't a secure run down the backstay seem more sensible?(G) Something to move inside the mast, when you get around to it.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome