SailNet Community - View Single Post - Windlass technique: use messenger/snubber line with chain?
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 08-08-2016 Thread Starter
TakeFive

Re: Windlass technique: use messenger/snubber line with chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I suggest using a trip line to get the MansRocMant up. It will come up cleaner, easier, and this line will allow you to keep the chain where it belongs; as a leader to your anchor.

I had used this setup, until the float that I used failed, and then the trip line chafed through. I didn't loose the anchor though!

That's exactly what I had in mind. The float is a nice touch because it keeps the line out of the mud. Then I could wrap the trip line around the windlass drum if I need mechanical assist for hauling in the chain.

Any other negatives to this arrangement?

Also a question about your 5/8" shackle. Is that a free-rotating shackle? My anchor currently has one, and my surveyor told me to remove it because it is a common point of failure. Is twisting a problem if you don't have it?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 08-08-2016 at 06:43 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome